PennDOT, in collaboration with public and private sector stakeholders from across the Commonwealth, is updating the PA State Rail Plan, last updated in 2015. The updated PA State Rail Plan will reflect changes in existing conditions and trends and will also identify proposed freight and passenger rail investments into 2045. Public and stakeholder involvement is an important element of the plan update to ensure plan strategies, actions, and investments help meet passenger and freight rail needs in the Commonwealth. The 2020 PA State Rail Plan will take effect in late 2020 upon the completion of a formal comment period and the Federal Railroad Administration’s (FRA) review and approval of the final plan.
PennDOT will initiate outreach activities, including solicitation of future rail projects, early in the plan update process, and will continue seeking stakeholder and public input through the completion of the draft 2020 PA State Rail Plan. Following is a list of opportunities for public involvement:
- A Major Stakeholder meeting was conducted as a virtual meeting on April 16, 2020.
- An online stakeholder survey was used to gather additional stakeholder input.
- The draft State Rail Plan will be released for a 30-day public comment period.
- Virtual public meetings (originally scheduled for this summer) and a public survey will occur this fall during the public comment period.
- Details on the web-based meetings, including dates and times, will be publicly advertised and added to this webpage when available.
- E-mail RA-PDPASRP@pa.gov if you would like to be notified of the Draft Plan release and public meeting details via e-mail.
These activities serve as the backbone of the project outreach efforts.
This website will be updated regularly to provide timely information regarding plan activities, including public meeting notices and survey links. Please check back often for more information or contact the project team at